This course is aimed at public sector managers who are non-financial professionals with financial responsibilities, and would benefit from an understanding of financial accounts. This programme covers financial terminology; the key financial statements; the income and expenditure account and the balance sheet. Public and non-profit sector organisations have to ensure they are viable, and the principles of accounting assist managers understand their organisation’s financial position.
- To improve the financial competence of learners in the area of financial accounting.
- To enhance both the underpinning knowledge of the subject and the ability to use financial information in the workplace.
- To advance the participants skills and abilities, and increase their effectiveness in their current or future job roles.
- To support the continuing development of management skills within the public and non-profit sectors with a view to maximising value for money from limited resources.
- To ensure that learners understand the importance of keeping financial records and the importance of accuracy and completeness in financial transactions
- To explain the elements of the income and expenditure account, and the definition of a trading account
- To explain the elements of the balance sheet including assets, liabilities, reserves and net worth
- To provide learners with an understanding of the importance of cash flow to an organisation and the key factors that impact on cash flow
- To demonstrate how to develop forecasts for both income and expenditure and cash flows, which support financial planning to achieve future objectives
- To give definitions of widely used financial terminology which will assist learners to understand the language used around finance, and enhance their ability to communicate with finance officers and accountants.
About the Trainers: Lascelles Hussey and Jennifer Bean
They are both Chartered Accountants, and hold Masters in Business Administration. They are the Directors of HB Consulting and HB Publications and Training International and have over 25 years’ experience in developing and delivering financial training programmes to the public sector. They are the authors of the “Essential Skills for the Public Sector” series of books which includes “Managing the Devolved Budget”.
They look forward to sharing their skills and expertise with the course participants.
This course will include:
- A copy of our book “Finance for Non-Financial Public Sector Managers”
- Course Notes
- Illustrations/Case Studies/Practice Exercises
- Trainer-led PowerPoint presentations
Next Date: Coming Soon – contact us for details
Location: Chartered Accountants Hall, One Moorgate Place, London, EC2R 6EA